SWEET POTATO MASH
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 chili pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
Put the sweet potatoes in a steamer basket and put the steamer in a large pot of simmering water that is 1 inch from the bottom of the basket.
Cover and steam over medium-high heat for 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender.
Remove the steamer basket, pour the water out of the pot, and dump the sweet potatoes into the pot.
Add the butter and salt and mash with a potato masher. Add the chili and sauce and continue mashing to combine.
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 small head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 c. baby Bella mushrooms, chopped
- Kosher salt, black pepper, 1/4 c. freshly chopped parsley, 2 tbsp. freshly chopped rosemary, 1 tbsp. freshly chopped sage
- 1/2 c. low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter.
Add onion, carrot, and celery and sauté until soft, 7 to 8 minutes.
Add cauliflower and mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
Cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes more.
Add parsley, rosemary, and sage and stir until combined.
Pour over broth and cook until totally tender and liquid is absorbed 10 minutes.
HEALTHY PUMPKIN PIE
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3½ tablespoons canola oil
- 2-3 tablespoons cold water
- 15-ounce 100% pumpkin puree
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract & cinnamon,
- ¼ teaspoon allspice & teaspoon clove
- 3 egg whites, beaten
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
In a small mixing bowl or measuring cup, stir together the oil and water with a fork to combine.
Pour the oil and water mixture into the dry ingredients and stir together with a fork until evenly moistened.
Add more cold water 1 teaspoon at a time if needed, until moistened.
Transfer the dough to a 9-inch pie dish and press the dough evenly along the bottom and sides of the pie dish.
Crimp the edges, or press with the tines of a fork as desired, then set aside until ready to fill.
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
In a large mixing bowl, stir all of the ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
Pour the filling in the set-aside pie shell and place the pie on a cookie sheet to put into the oven.
Bake for 15 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 350° F and continue baking until the center is set, 1½ hours.
Allow the pie to come up to room temperature on a cooling rack for at least an hour before serving.