Have you ever started to work out at home but couldn’t keep up with it? Maybe it was because you were not motivated or just didn’t have the time. One thing is for sure, it is really hard to work out at home without equipment and a proper guide, especially if you’re a beginner.
Bodyweight workouts are part of strength training, and while you can maybe use objects you got laying around the house as tools, it is good to have the option of strength training exercises that do not require them. Now that we’re all at home, we would benefit from these kinds of exercises so we can still stay active and work on our muscles.
The squats are a classic movement to get your body going and target your butt precisely. This exercise works the glutes, the leg muscles as well as the core. Of course, you can make it more intense by holding weights, but that’s not essential.
To perform this exercise, follow these instructions:
- Start by standing up straight with your hands extended in front of you and your feet a little further than shoulder-width.
- Slowly shift your body down by keeping your body weight on your heels.
- Hold the pose for 2 seconds
- Continue by lifting your body to the starting position.
Lunges are a great exercise to strengthen, build, and sculpt several muscles in the body. This exercise targets muscles in the thighs, calves, abdomen, back, and of course, the butt. To perform this exercise, follow these instructions:
- Start by standing up with one foot forward and your hands in front of you.
- Slowly bend both of your knees until the back knee touches the floor.
- Stand back up
This exercise targets many muscles of the body, starting from your calves, glutes, hamstrings and lower back muscles. They also work great for the hip extension and obviously the butt. This exercise can be done at home very easily. To perform this exercise, follow these instructions:
- Start by lying on your back with your knees up and your feet firmly pressed on the floor.
- Continue by lifting your stomach and butt as high as you can while keeping the shoulders and the feet on the floor.
- Slowly return to your starting position.
The plank is a classic core strengthening exercise that requires minimum movement but that targets the belly area intensely. To perform this exercise follow these instructions:
- Start by lying on your stomach on the exercise mat.
- Bend your arms to a 90-degree angle and rest your body weight on your elbows. Your elbows should be directly underneath your shoulders and your body should form a straight line.
- Hold your position for at least 30 seconds and Inhale with your nose & Exhale with your mouth.
The core twist is a classic exercise of the core. With support from the upper and lower body, here, you target your belly muscles and strengthen your core. This exercise doesn’t require any tools and you can easily do it at home. To perform this exercise follow these instructions:
- Start by sitting on the floor with your feet on the floor and knees bent.
- Lean your body back to a 45-degree angle to the floor and lift your feet off the floor. (you can cross them if it feels more comfortable.
- Rotate your arms all the way over to the left and let your core “twist”
- Now rotate your arms to the other side.
Another strength exercise that can simply be performed at home is the Leg Raise. This one targets the lower abdominal muscles as well as the thighs and requires no tools at all. To perform this exercise, follow these instructions:
- Lay on your back on the exercise mat with your arms next to your sides.
- Start raising your legs up while breathing out.
- Squeeze your abs at the end and slowly lower your feet to the starting position while inhaling.
The push up is one of the most basic and classic exercises but it has such great results that it remains in most people’s routine. It works up your arms & core and is one of the best strength exercises you can perform at home. To perform this exercise, follow these instructions:
- Start by laying on your stomach
- Put your hands underneath your shoulders and start lifting yourself up.
- Keep your body in a straight line.
- After you’re at the top, start lowering your body down in the starting position.
The Burpee might be the most intricate exercise of this bunch but it is definitely worth doing. This exercise activates all your muscles in the body and gets your heart pumping. To perform this exercise, follow these instructions:
- Start by standing tall on your feet.
- Continue by slowly bedding your body into the squat position.
- Place your hands on the floor in front of you and shift your weight onto them.
- At the same time, shift your feet back by landing in a plank position.
- Jump forward and meet your feet and hands together.
- At the same time lift your hands from the ground and jump into the air, up.
For more exercises, Download the Fitonomy App!