Posted on February 19 2019
The next time you aren't sure what to do for stronger abs, pull out this four-move workout. It's quick, it's intense, and you can do it absolutely anywhere. You're going to be putting in work, as every core muscle from your transverse abdominis muscles to your obliques gets lit up. Not to mention, it's guaranteed to leave you sore for a few days.
It can be done alone or you can add it to your favorite workout. As a reminder, if more defined abs are what you're after, you've got to eat clean, strength train, and focus on strengthening your core.
The Quick and Intense Ab Workout
Directions: Perform this workout as a circuit, taking little to no rest in between each exercise. Take one to two minutes of rest in between each round, completing a total of four rounds.
- High knees: 30 reps
- Mountain climbers: 30 reps
- Side plank leg lift: 10 reps on each side
- Seated knee tuck: 15 reps
- Run in place while lifting your knees high to the level of your waist. Engage your abs as your knee comes up.
- Pump your arms to warm up your upper body.
- Each time your foot makes contact with the ground, that counts as one repetition.
- Complete 30 reps.
- Start in a traditional push-up starting position — shoulders over hands and weight on just your toes.
- Bring your right foot forward, bending the knee and putting weight on the ball of your foot.
- Swiftly switch legs, bringing the left knee forward while moving the right leg back. It feels a little like running in place in a plank position. This counts as two reps.
- Complete 30 reps.
Side Plank Leg Lift
- Place your right elbow on the ground. Extend both legs out so that your body is in one straight line and you're balancing on the outside edge of your right foot.
- Flex both feet if you can, and either rest your top hand on your upper hip or extend it in the air. Keeping your spine lengthened and your abs engaged, lift your left leg up just higher than your top hip. Then slowly lower it back to your bottom leg.
- Complete 10 reps on each side.
Seated Knee Tuck
- Start seated on the ground or on a weight bench. Place your hands about an inch behind your back with your fingers facing forward. Your feet should be on the ground.
- Lift both feet up off of the ground and extend both legs as you simultaneously lower your upper body. Be sure to get full extension at your hips and legs.
- With control, bring your legs back to your chest without touching the ground with your feet and return to the starting position.
- This counts as one rep. Complete 15 reps.