How To Cook Brown Rice Perfectly
Cooking a good batch of brown rice seems like a Herculean task to even the best chef. But when done right, it’s worth every sweat shed while making it. The nutty-flavoured brown rice retains plenty of essential nutrients. Along with its good taste and chewy texture, brown rice is high on minerals and fibres that are essential for a healthy lifestyle. Follow our recommended steps in order to achieve the desired taste that brown rice is loved for.
1 cup brown rice
2 ½ cup water
¼ teaspoon salt
- The first step of this process requires you to find a large saucepan in which you have to cook this rice.
- Then pour all the ingredients in the vessel and bring these to a boil. Make sure that the pan has a tight lid to ensure evenly cooked grains. Remember, we are using ¼ tsp salt for every cup of rice.
- As soon as the timer hits thirty minutes, check the rice to ensure it doesn’t burn. It is usually recommended to cook brown rice for 40 minutes but we don’t want to overdo and burn it.
- Once the rice is cooked, let it sit for ten minutes with the lid on to absorb all the moisture. Finally, you can use a fork to fluff the rice.
- You can use broth instead of water, in the same quantity, if you are looking for a particular taste or flavour.
4. How to store
- Once the rice is cooked, you can put it in an airtight container and store it in a refrigerator for 4-5 days. Microwave it for 2 minutes before serving the rice. It is always advisable to cook brown rice in large batches.
- Uncooked brown rice can be stored for up to six months but people also store it in freezers to extend its shelf life.
5. How to purchase
- There are many variants of brown rice that range from jasmine and basmati to short, medium and long-grain, in the whole-grain version.
- If you want to buy the ones that can be prepared in 10 minutes then you can buy the instant brown rice.
6. Health benefits of brown rice
- Rich in naturally-occurring oils
- High in manganese
- Promotes weight loss
- High in fibre and selenium
- Rich in anti-oxidants
- It lowers cholesterol
7. White rice vs Brown rice
- Brown rice contains more vitamins and minerals when compared to white rice, which has less nutritional contents because of the artificial process involved in making it.
- One cup of cooked white rice provides 242 calories whereas one cup of cooked brown rice provides 218 calories. So, if you want to cut down on your calorie intake then it would be smart to switch to brown rice.
8. Brown Rice Idli
Brown Rice Idli Recipe: Brown rice idli is a very popular with everyone. It is not only tasty but healthy as well. You can have brown rice for breakfast or as a sumptuous snack with any chutney of your choice. This delectable snack or breakfast recipe can be served on occasions like potluck parties, kitty parties, game nights, picnics, road trips to satiate the sudden hunger pangs.
9. Brown Rice Kheer
Brown Rice Kheer Recipe: This universally loved dessert is equally healthy because it is cooked using brown rice. Brown rice kheer is a mouth-watering delicacy, which is prepared using jaggery, milk, nuts and raisins.
10. Brown Rice Vegetable Salad
Brown Rice Vegetable salad Recipe: Brown rice vegetable salad is a continental recipe made with brown rice tossed in colorful veggies like onion, cucumber, cherry tomatoes along with extra virgin olive oil, white vinegar and mustard oil. It is a perfect snack for those who are on a weight loss spree because it is nutritious while being low in fat. You can enjoy this healthy salad for your lunch or dinner as it fills you up instantly.