The glutes, that one part of the body that everyone works so hard to get it to look good. Most of us spend the majority of our time at the gym trying to get a perfect bubble butt that everyone will envy.
Besides having a lifted backside that looks good and it is very trendy, glutes have another important function, all the glute muscles promote the movement of our legs, help us balance, prevent knee injuries and support the lower back, the main function is to keep the body up and straight and pushing our body forward.
Anatomy of butt muscles
The butt is made from 3 muscle groups, every muscle has its function gluteus maximus,gluteus medius, and gluteus minimus. The main muscle or glute maximus is the largest muscle that shapes our backside, and the other two assist in movement.
Why are butt exercises important?
The majority of people have weak butt muscles due to working in an office, which requires sitting for more than 8 hours. As we sit for a long time our muscles relax and elongate causing us lower back pain or even knee pain.
By activating butt muscles not only we will get a more firmed and rounder booty but it will help us with overall strength.
When we have weak butt muscles, the largest muscle in our upper body called latissimus dorsi will overreact, pulling the shoulders and torso out of proper position. Not only will it cause us poor posture but it will also cause back pain and discomfort.
Working out the glute muscles will support our upper body and correct our posture.
Glutes are one of the biggest muscles in our body, so having strong ones will support our lower back.
If glutes aren’t strong enough to assist in the hip extension then other muscles try to help with the function however these muscles are not built to help the hips and they will get overly stressed easily and cause us pain and discomfort.
Also if the glutes are weak we will have an increased chance of lower back and knee injuries.
High-performance sports require strong glute muscles. Especially if you run a lot it will help ease the tension every time the feet hit the ground, and having stronger glutes helps you run faster.
Bubble butt exercises
Now that we have covered all the important stuff about the anatomy of the glute muscles and the importance of them supporting our overall body and performance, here are some exercises that will help you not only strengthen your muscles but also give you a firm bubble butt form.
We will start with the most basic exercise that will work the glute muscles – Squats
- Start by standing tall with feet hip-width apart, you can extend the arms or leave them next to your body.
- Start bending your knees and imagine like you are going to sit on a chair keeping your weight on your heels.
2. Jump Squats
Like regular squats just add a jump.
- Start by standing just like when doing regular squats. Start by bending your knees to a squat position.
- Instead of going to the standing position, jump and go back to the squat position.
3.Resistance Band Butt Blaster
A fun way to incorporate resistance bands in your workout
- Kneel on the floor and wrap the resistance band around your right foot, place both hands shoulder-width apart and grasp on the band handles
- Slowly lift the right leg and extend to spine level
- Slowly bend the knee and come to the starting position, repeat the movement several times
- Switch legs and do the same
4.Cross behind lunges
Just like regular lunges with a twist
- Start by standing straight, feet hip-width apart.
- Transfer your body weight to your right leg and place the left leg behind the right leg.
- Keep your upper body straight, start to go down on a long position then come back up
- Switch legs and repeat the exercise several times.
5. Pile Squats
Again a form of squats but with a twist to it to make it more effective for achieving a bubble butt form.
- Start on a regular squat position with feet shoulder-width apart and your toes 45 degrees angle.
- Bend knees and go down on a squat position always keeping your back straight and not bending forward
- Repeat these exercises several times for maximum effects.
If you are interested in maximizing your results of getting a bigger booty you can find more exercises here, or want to find more personalized workouts to target all body muscles check out our Fitonomy app.