If you asked a group of women which area of the body they want to lose weight the most and what area is the hardest to, chances are they’d all answer “Belly”. The stomach area in general, but especially the lower belly area are some of the hardest parts to lose weight from and there’s a reason.
Fat around the belly occurs when you are consuming more energy than the body breaks down during the day. The human body holds 2 types of fat cells, alpha, and beta. The alpha fat cells are easier to burn and are usually on the areas of the body that we lose weight the fastest. The beta fat cells, however, are harder to burn and are usually located on the areas of the body where we lose weight the hardest, the belly area. It usually takes the body double the time and effort to lose weight on the parts that have beta fat cells.
The balance of Diet and Exercise
I know the last thing you want to hear is that you can’t lose weight fast without a healthy diet but its time to face the truth. The ultimate reason for weight loss is not just a beautiful body but a healthier life. And how can one live a healthier life when what we’re putting in our body, the fuel that feeds our body is not healthy in the first place. A healthy diet is a base and the most important element on your weight loss journey.
However, a healthy diet is not the only requirement for a flat stomach. Weight loss on the belly area and abs can not be achieved without some exercise. There are a lot of workouts routines that one can do to help their body burn fat faster in those areas but there are some that have resulted most effective to target this issue. The Fitonomy App has a number of workout challenges that target different body parts and the stomach area especially. Today we have decided to share some of these exercises with you but if you want to see more, Download the Fitonomy App!
7 Exercises for a Flat Stomach
Toe touchers are exercises that target the belly area of the body and do not require weights other than bodyweight. To perform this exercise follow these instructions:
- Start by lying on your back on the exercise mat with your shoulders pressed against the floor and your arms across your sides with the palms facing down.
- Elevate your legs up in the air until your body takes an almost 90-degree angle.
- Move your arms to the front of your body until they meet and point your fingers towards your toes. Inhale!
- Slowly lift your torso and try to touch your feet with your fingers. Exhale!
- Carefully return to your starting position and repeat!
The plank is a classic core strengthening exercise that requires minimum movement but that targets the belly area intensely. To perform this exercise follow these instructions:
- Start by lying on your stomach on the exercise mat.
- Bend your arms to a 90-degree angle and rest your body weight on your elbows. Your elbows should be directly underneath your shoulders and your body should form a straight line.
- Hold your position for at least 30 seconds and Inhale with your nose & Exhale with your mouth.
The air bike is a stomach/belly exercise that requires the movement of the arms and legs to put to work the muscles in that area. To perform this exercise follow these instructions:
- Start by lying on your back on the exercise mat with your lower back pressed on the floor.
- Meet your arms behind your neck but make sure not to strain with the neck.
- Bring your knees up in a perpendicular position to the floor.
- Now meet your left elbow with your right knee while exhaling.
- Slowly return to the starting position while inhaling.
- Repeat the same movement with the opposite leg and arm.
Mountain Climbers are one of those exercises that get every muscle of the body going and are especially great for the abdominal area. To perform this exercise follow these instructions:
- Start in the plank position with your arms and legs long. Make sure your body forms a straight line and you tighten your abs.
- Continue by pulling your left knee into your chest and tighten your abs even more.
- Quickly start to switch legs by sending your left knee back and pulling your right one to your chest.
- Continue by switching knees on a “running” motion.
A Plank Jack is a great cardio move that works up your core, targeting your abs precisely. To perform this exercise follow these instructions:
- Start in the pushup position with your feet together.
- Hop your feet as wide as you can and land softly on your toes.
- Hop your feet one more time, this time meeting them together and repeat the exercise.
Bent Knee Raise
The Bent Knee Raise is a core strengthening exercise that targets the lower abdominal muscles and your legs. To perform this exercise follow these instructions:
- Lay on your back on the exercise mat with your arms next to your sides.
- Now bend your knees at a 75-degree angle.
- Start raising your legs up and towards your chest until your hips are off the floor while breathing out.
- Squeeze your abs at the end and slowly lower your feet to the starting position while inhaling.
The Weighted Crunches are an elevated version of Crunches that target the abdominal muscles of the body. To perform this exercise follow these instructions:
- Lay on your back in the exercise mat with your feet at a 90-degree angle or resting on the floor.
- Hold a weight to your chest or extended to your torso.
- Slowly lift your shoulders off the floor and flex your abs. Hold that position for a brief moment while exhaling.
- Return to your starting position while inhaling
To get the complete 28 Day Flat Abs Challenge, Download the Fitonomy App!